It’s 17°F outside this evening. I guess winter has finally hit
Sadly my husband does not agree with me. He was born and raised here so the warm fits him just fine. To help warm him up and show my love I whipped up a quick soup we fell in love with in
While there, we took a little tour led by the Portland Walking Tours folks. This soup comes from the first stop on the tour, the Flying Elephant Deli. It’s a fresh but warm tomato soup with a bit of a twist. Fast to make up with ingredients from the pantry. You just can’t go wrong with this one.
Elephant's Tomato-Orange Soup
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 - 14.5 oz. cans unsalted diced tomatoes with juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup whipping cream
1. In a saucepan, melt butter; add onion and saute until translucent.
2. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, baking soda, and thyme.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
4. Puree in a food processor or blender; strain through a sieve or food mill.
5. Return to saucepan and stir in orange juice and cream. Bring to a simmer and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve hot.
I use Pomi tomatoes from
I’ve got to say, tomato soup does the body good. Enjoy!